Monday, October 7, 2013

BBQ Chicken Cornbread Bake









This is one of those go-to meals that I've used on several occasions.  It consists of pretty basic ingredients and can be thrown together in about a hour.  It is large enough if you have company to feed or plenty enough just to enjoy the leftovers.  I love having recipes that can carry over to another night without loosing their flavor or texture.... (so I can have a night off from cooking!).

I originally found this recipe off of the Rachael Ray website over a year ago (I couldn't find the link anymore otherwise I would have shared!) and just recreated it so I could make it allergy free for my family.  

The only thing I change from my recipe version when making it from time to time, is if I use real cheese or cheese substitute depending on who I am feeding.  Every other part of the recipe I don't have to worry about since I use all allergy free ingredients.  

We normally top it with freshly mashed avocado's with a little bit of smoked sea salt mixed in.  But the toppings ideas could be endless.  When serving to company, I would also put out salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, cilantro etc.  I would normally serve this with a fresh cucumber salad on the side.  


gf/vegan


BBQ Chicken Cornbread Bake:
Oven 350 degrees
9x13 Pan (greased)


Cornbread:

1 Cup  Masa or Cornmeal
1/2 Cup  Brown Rice Flour
1/2 Cup  Tapioca Starch
1 tsp.  Xantham Gum
1 TB  Baking Powder
1/4 tsp.  Fine Sea Salt
1/4 plus 1/8 Cup  Oil ( I used Canola)
1/4 plus 1/8 Cup  Pure Maple Syrup
1 1/2 Cups  Milk Substitute ( I used plain unsweetened Rice Milk)
1/2 Cup  Corn ( I used thawed frozen corn)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl;  add all ingredients except corn, and stir by hand until well combined.  Once combined, stir in corn.  Place into greased 9x13 pan and bake 25-30 minutes, until a light golden brown.
Remove from oven and set aside until bbq chicken mixture is ready.

BBQ Chicken Topping:


2-3 TB  Olive Oil
1/2  Medium Yellow Onion (chopped)
1/4  Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
1/4  Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
2  Garlic Cloves (minced)
3 Cups  Shredded Chicken (I shredded 1/2 of a whole roasted chicken)
1 Cup  BBQ Sauce ( I used Two Fat Guys brand)
1/4 Cup  Ketchup
1 TB  Chili Powder
2 tsp.  Ground Cumin
salt and pepper to taste

1 1/4 Cups Cheese of choice ( I used a Daiya mixture of shredded cheddar and mozzarella, the Daiya shredded pepperjack would be delicious too)
  (*note:  For my real cheese eaters, I top with a mixture of 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1/4 cup shredded peperjack cheese)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large skillet over medium high heat on stove top;  add olive oil, yellow onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic and saute until soft (4-5 minutes)  Add in shredded chicken, bbq sauce, ketchup, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper (to taste).  Stir together and once evenly heated, remove from heat and top the precooked cornbread mixture with all of the bbq chicken mixture.  Top with cheese evenly and bake (covered) for 15 minutes or until cheese is evenly melted.  Remove cover and broil top until golden, 2-3 minutes.  Enjoy!




Although Daiya doesn't melt as well as dairy cheese, it is still delicious!
You can see the layers of sweet cornbread, bbq chicken and cheese......
You can also make this into individual servings if you like!




This is be real cheese version for all the dairy eaters!   



Save and print!












Also shared at:Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,Tasteful Tuesday Party,Fat Tuesday,Allergy Free Wednesday,Gluten Free Wednesdays,Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,Healthy 2Day Wednesday,Gluten Free Fridays,Healing With Food Friday,Simple Meals Friday





4 comments:

  1. YUM! May have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like my ultimate comfort food! Thanks so much for sharing at Healing With Food Friday! I have shared this on Facebook and Twitter!

    ReplyDelete