Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tater Tots









I don't know what it is about deep fried potatoes I love so much, but I just do!

Back when we got the results on my daughters food allergy tests, it basically ruled out any chance of her having a pre-made meal in a restaurant....ever.  You know the place you get to go where others do the cooking and you sit back and they serve you while the kiddies enjoy their plate of chicken nuggets or burgers and fries?  I'm not even talking about the fast food type, but perhaps a nicer restaurant where you get what you want and they get what they want, and all is good!  

Well, our restaurant days were long gone years ago.  And truthfully it's no skin off my back.  I love to cook.  And I enjoy the fact of not having to get ready to go out and eat, but laying around on our couch enjoying our own food.  It really is quite nice.

When the kids were a bit younger it drove me nuts that I couldn't just go buy some frozen fries (they actually didn't make allergy free ones then) or chicken nuggets etc. and just cook a quick kid fun meal.  So I had to make them myself.  I never thought in a million years I would own a deep fryer,  but I do....and I wouldn't trade it for the world!  (this one here is mine, and it's the bomb) The fact I can make my kids what all the other kids get to eat is a treat.  And on top of that it's made the healthiest way possible.  I can tell you no one complains about my french fries or chicken nuggets!  

Now don't get me wrong, deep fried foods in our house are considered a treat.  We don't do them a lot, but when we do we enjoy them immensely.

So I was thrilled to find a recipe that would transfer over easily to allergy free eating.  I didn't create this recipe I just adapted it and it turned out delicious.  I've looked at a lot of Tater Tot recipes in the past, but all of them contained eggs.  So I just left it alone.
But this recipe doesn't, and the Tater Tots really are good!  They are perfectly crisp on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.  My youngest daughter, who looks at anything new as bad, just gobbled them down- shocking to me.  








This is from a wonderful show called Cooks Country and the originally recipe is found here.
I changed a few ingredients, measurements and cooking times, which I will list in my version here.  But please refer to their original recipe, it is quite detailed and perfectly written.  




gf/vegan


Tater Tots:
makes about 25 tater tots


1 Cup  Water
2 tsp.  Fine Sea Salt
2 1/2 lbs.  Russet Potatoes- peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 TB  White Rice Flour
1/2 TB  Potato Starch
pinch of Xantham gum
1/4 tsp.  Ground Pepper
Extra Fine Sea Salt for topping

4 Cups  Frying Oil of choice (Peanut, Vegetable or Canola)  (I use Canola since it is the only one my daughter can have)


In small bowl whisk together the water and salt.  Then in a  food processor; combine prepared potatoes and salt water.  (You may have to do this in two batches like me, since my processor isn't a large one)  Coarsely chop potatoes and salt water for about 10 pulses.  Place processed potatoes into a colander and drain out water by pressing down with a spatula to remove excess.  Place all of the drained potatoes into a microwave safe bowl, stir in the white rice flour, potato starch, xantham gum and pepper.  Cook in microwave on high, until sticky and mushy (mine took about 15 minutes) stirring half way through.  Press cooked potatoes into a parchment lined 8 x 8 baking pan with sides, pressing down flat.  Place into freezer for 15 minutes to cool. Once cooled; lift potatoes out of pan with parchment and cut into small squares, about 5 or 6 cuts in each direction.  In small batches, fry potatoes in oil at 375 degrees for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from fryer and sprinkle with extra salt.  Enjoy!













Save image to computer and print!










Also shared at:Gluten Free Fridays,Simple Meals Friday,Allergy Free Wednesday,Gluten Free Wednesdays,Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,Wellness Weekend,Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love,Healing Foods Friday






2 comments:

  1. Excellent, thanks. My crew loves tater tots.
    I’d like to invite you to “Like” my new Facebook fan page for The Gluten Free Homestead. https://www.facebook.com/TheGlutenFreeHomestead
    I’d be extremely blessed by your participation and promotion of joyful gluten free living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will check out ( and "like") your Facebook fan page!

      Delete