Monday, April 21, 2014

Double Chocolate Banana Pound Cake - gluten free, vegan (top 8 allergen free)











This Double Chocolate Banana Pound Cake may go quickly when you make it! 

It is dense, moist and rich in flavor.  Not overly sweetened, so you can taste the chocolate banana combination not the sugar.  

You could use this recipe for many occasions.  It would be a perfect snack with coffee, tea or milk or even a dessert for company when dressed up with some Coconut Whip Cream and sliced strawberries.  Or enjoy it for breakfast with a nut butter of choice,  for a little added protein!
We added a dollop of allergy free cream cheese and gobbled it down.  

Luckily this is a pretty quick recipe to throw together and you'll probably have the ingredients on hand.  The only delay will be waiting for it to bake and cool ;).  I don't know about you, but I always have overly ripened bananas and never tire of another chocolate recipe!  


gluten free, vegan, top 8 allergen free!


Double Chocolate Banana Pound Cake:
1 - Loaf Pan


1/2 Cup  Brown Rice Flour
1/4 Cup  White Rice Flour
1/4 Cup  Potato Starch
1/4 Cup  Tapioca Starch
1/2 tsp.  Xantham Gum
1/3 Cup  Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp.  Sea Salt (fine)
2 tsp.  Baking Powder
1 tsp.  Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp.  Ener G Egg Replacer Powder
3-4  Medium Ripe Bananas
1/3 Cup  Oil/Butter Substitute (melted) - your choice
2 TB  Dairy Free Yogurt ( I use So Delicious Coconut Milk, Vanilla)
3/4 Cup  Organic Brown Sugar or Palm Sugar
1 tsp  Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup  Allergy Free Chocolate Chips ( I use Enjoy Life)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a loaf pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xantham gum, cocoa powder, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda and egg replacer powder.  Set aside.
In mixing bowl with paddle attachment, add bananas and mix until "mashed".  Add in oil, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract.  Mix on medium low until combined, scraping down when needed.  Add in pre whisked dry ingredients and mix on low until incorporated.  Stir in chocolate chips. Add batter to a greased loaf pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely.  Enjoy!






Save image to computer and print!








Trying to take a good picture on a cloudy Pacific Northwest day
makes it tough!





A fudge topping of coconut oil and allergy free chocolate is delicious too!


Just a touch of allergy free cream cheese!









Also shared at:  Totally Talented TuesdaysFat TuesdayWaste Not Want Not WednesdayGluten Free WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdayGluten Free FridaysFoodie FridayWhole Food Friday







20 comments:

  1. Eggs aren't an issue for us, can 1 regular egg be used for the egg replacer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should be fine with a real egg- (I wish I could too ;)!) I imagine it will only make it even tastier!

      Delete
  2. Just wondering if you have an amount of gf all purpose flour(cup4cup) to use in this receipt instead of the separate flours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that would be o.k.- I don't buy premixed gf flours just because of my daughters allergies, but I've noticed most have a good mixture of "flours" to "starches" which is what you need. And just remove the extra Xantham Gum if the premix contains it already. (To much makes for a gummy batter)

      Delete
  3. At what point do you add the dry ingredients? After adding oil, yogurts, etc. to the bananas? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, it would help if I hadn't missed a direction!
    You add right after all the wet ingredients are mixed (I just edited the original recipe - thank you!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this. Since going gluten/dairy free I feel like I can't eat anything. I am going to try it with a gf flour that already had the xantham gum added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! It can feel very restricting taking out gluten and dairy from a diet- If you get a chance let me know if it works out well with the pre-made flour blend, I never get to use them because of my daughters laundry list of food allergies. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I wonder if a flax egg would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be fine- I don't get to use flax since my daughter is allergic to it. Hope you like it! Thanks-

      Delete
  8. This looks awesome, Jolene! Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Really loving this bread! I replaced the potato starch with teff flour, left the egg replacer out (new the yogurt and banana were great bindes in themselves) and used 1/2 cup palm suagr and additional stevia to taste. Thanks for a yummy recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Your blog, recipes and photos are a inspiration to me! Thank you for the info on substitutions, I really appreciate it. I swear my egg substitute is by habit even with putting in other binders! I just saw a allergy free cook book that didn't use any egg replacer and just used baking soda and baking powder to replace it.

      Delete
    2. Yes...whenever possible, I try to eliminate the egg replacer to attract more people...a lot don't have it on hand so they won;t try it if it is there.
      Thanks for your kind words....I am featuring your recipe this week!

      Delete
  10. I am allergic to chocolate. I wonder how powdered carob would work and if omitting the chocolate chips would make much difference. (So far I have not found any carob chips that don't taste waxy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cooked with carob so I'm not sure! I doubt taking out the chocolate chips would make much of a difference flavor-wise, the cocoa and banana are the stronger flavors in this recipe. If you try it let me know, I'm sure there are a lot of others who would like to substitute also! Thanks-

      Delete
  11. This sounds AMAZING! Pinning for later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete