Monday, June 23, 2014

Graham Crackers - gluten free, vegan and top 8 allergen free






Now that Summer is officially here we had better start gathering our "summer essential" recipes!
Graham Crackers are definitely on the top of my list.  We do a lot of camping and backyard get togethers with the fire pit, so we've got to have our main s'more ingredient checked off our list.

I love this recipe and have been making it for years.  I'm not sure where the original recipe started, but with so many years of cooking these and tweaking it here and there, I have a graham cracker we really love.  It was a pretty easy recipe to adapt to Allergy Free cooking since the non-allergy free version doesn't have many ingredients to really switch.  Always a plus in my book when trying to recreate food!

They, of course, or perfect on their own- but adding a little nut butter and jelly or honey...... or making my sisters favorite with icing isn't to bad either!   This graham cracker is a little softer than your store bought box kind.  But you can always increase the bake time and make them as crunchy as you like.  



gluten free, vegan and top 8 allergen free


Graham Crackers:

1 Cup  Brown Rice Flour
1/2 Cup  White Rice Flour
1/4 Cup  Potato Starch
1/4 Cup  Tapioca Starch
1/4 tsp  Xantham Gum
1/3 Cup  Organic Brown Sugar
1 tsp.  Baking Powder
1/4 tsp.  Salt
1 tsp.  Ground Cinnamon
5 TB  Spectrum Shortening (cold from refrigerator)
1 TB  Honey
2 TB  Molasses
5-6 TB  Milk Substitute ( I use Coconut Milk-carton)
*extra brown rice flour for rolling out dough

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large mixing bowl with paddle attachment add, brown rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xantham gum, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Mix on low until combined.  Add in cold shortening and mix on low to "crumble".  Next add in honey, molasses and milk substitute.  Mix on low until combined.  Place dough on parchment paper with a sprinkle of brown rice flour to top and bottom. Place another piece of parchment paper on top of dough and roll out until about 1/8 inch thick.  Using a knife or pizza cutter, score dough and poke gently with fork.  I score my crackers about 3 x 1 1/2 inches.  Place the roll out crackers (with the bottom parchment) onto a cookie sheet and refrigerate 20 minutes then bake 18 - 20 minutes.  The longer they bake the crunchier they will be. Enjoy!


Save image to computer and print!








You can see the dough is pretty "formed" when mixed.


I use a top and bottom piece of parchment to help with sticking and
to keep a smoother look once the graham crackers are cooked.

Just simply measure out or eyeball the cracker size and score with a fork.


Don't forget to refrigerate once scored before baking to "set".



Fresh out of oven!









Also shared at:    Create Link Inspire,Fat TuesdayGluten Free & DIY TuesdayTotally Talented TuesdayTasty TuesdayGluten Free Wednesday,Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,Allergy Free Wednesday,Full Plate Thursday,Gluten Free Fridays,






16 comments:

  1. These look awesome. Thank you, even as an adult I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh thank you. I've often wondered what Graham Crackers were like (I live in Australia) and now I can make them. Gluten free perfection by the looks of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I just love Graham Crackers. You did a really great job with these crackers! Hope you have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look perfect! We don't have Graham Crackers in the UK but I sampled some in Canada last year and have been looking for a good recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I found your blog from Tessa's link to your site. I LOVE the name of your blog...but then...I would. My name is Pixie - honest, it's on my birth certificate. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum Yum! Think these will work in a dehydrator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to say, I have no idea?! Sorry, but if you try it let me know!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I've just made these cookies and I had to come back to say that they are delicious!!! Thank you so much for the recipe...I also used the dough to make the crust for little banana pies.
    Kisses from Brazil!

    By the way, is it ok if I share the recipe on my blog? Giving you the credits, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm glad you liked- banana pies sound delish!
      Yes, please share! Thank you-

      Delete
  9. Do you know if Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF flour would work for this recipe? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used the pre-mixed gf flours, but if it has a good mix of flour to starch I can't imagine why not, just leave out the xantham gum if the mix already has it otherwise the dough can get gummy. Hope it works out perfect for you-

      Delete
  10. Hi Jolene,
    Can I add more honey instead of molasses? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should be just fine. It would only effect the final "color" of the grahams and a slightly milder flavor. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  11. I had been looking for a graham cracker that met my dietary needs and couldn't find one until I found your site. I substituted the recipe with 1 cup of gluten-free oatmeal, 1/2 cup of brown rice, used coconut oil instead of shortening, and used coconut syrup instead of honey. They are absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe. Rosie :)

    ReplyDelete