Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Monster Cookie Bars








This recipe is based off of my chocolate chip cookie recipe, but with a lot more goodies added and a quicker end result since there is no waiting by cooking them in bar form.  I originally made these for Super Bowl Sunday and we gobbled them up!  You could definitely do different add-ins depending on your own food allergy, but we are quite limited and really liked the combo we had anyway. 

gf/df/sf/nf/vegan

Monster Cookie Bars:

Oven 350 degrees
13 X 9 parchment lined pan


1/2 Cup  Spectrum Shortening
1/4 Cup  Butter Substitute - we use soy free Earth Balance
1 TB.  Egg Replacer mixed with 1/4 Cup Rice Milk
3/4 Cup  Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Raw Cane Sugar
1 1/2 Cups  Brown Rice Flour
1/4 Cup  White Rice Flour
3/4 Cup  Tapioca Starch
1 tsp.  Xantham Gum
1 tsp.  Baking Soda
1/8 tsp.  Baking Powder
1/2 tsp.  Sea Salt
3 TB.  Rice Milk (may need a tad more depending on batter)
1/2 Cup  Allergy Free Pretzels, broken into pieces
1/2 Cup  Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
4 small (or 2 big)  Allergy Free Marshmallows, cut or tore into small pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 13 x 9 pan with parchment paper.  Set aside.
To a mixing bowl add, shortening, butter substitute, egg mixture and sugars.  Cream together until well mixed, scraping down sides of bowl when needed.  Add to creamed mixture;  flours, starch, xantham gum, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and rice milk.  Mix on medium/low speed until blended.   Depending on your batter you may need to add a little more rice milk if it is not "forming", but it will be quite thick.  Mix in pretzel pieces and chocolate chips on low.  Add marshmallows pieces, but stir in by hand, as to not tear completely apart.  Spread into prepared pan.  I dipped my spatula into water to help spread the batter evenly into the pan.  Bake for 27 minutes.  Cool completely when done and cut into squares.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. YUMMY, I want a bite of those! We have some awesome recipes this week!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wanting to try the Monster Cookie Bars, but I do not have any egg replacer. What would you recommend to substitute? I am able to use actual eggs, or would it be better to keep the rice milk along with another substitute? Thanks so much! I was happy to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't bake with eggs anymore, but I don't see why you couldn't use a actual egg. I would think it would just add to the flavor and not "hurt" the recipe. I would hold back on the rice milk until it is all mixed up and then if it's to stiff, add a bit in.
      Let me know if you try it and how it turns out so others can do the same-

      I'm happy you found my blog too! ;)

      Jolene

      Delete